Monday, July 5, 2010

FIRE FIRE FIRE, or, Happy Americaday!

Hope everyone's day was awesome and fun! We had fantastic weather here, albeit a -teensy- bit hot. After sleeping in, Mike went out and cleaned the grill, ready for grilltastic grillage. I ran to the store to pick up a few things, and came back with, well, more. 5 packs of sodee pop for $10? Yes, please. Avocados? Mmhmm. And on and so forth. Anyway. We'd picked up some sparklers and fountains a few days ago, so our questlog was now empty. =P You may also notice the change in picture quality. I may or may not have cleaned off my phone's camera lens, at Mike's suggestion. *embarrassed giggle*

Mike fired up the grill and put on a burger for him, and some barbeque chicken for me.


Mmmmmm. I took my place in the kitchen (No, I was not barefoot.) to make the sides. Potato salad, baked beans, and dessert. Mike wanted macaroni salad and I wanted potato salad, so I copped out and bought his. *snicker* I also bought a can of baked beans. Yes. I saw the sale sticker and went for it. I started 2 red potatoes boiling and the beans warming, then started on the dressing for the salad.


In goes 1/6 c of EVOO, a tsp of chopped garlic, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (it was on sale, I swear), 1 tbsp dijon mustard, and dashes of salt and pepper. Whisk whisk and set aside. Then drain potatoes, cut up into small pieces and add chopped shallot (or onion), celery, and green onions. Stick that into the fridge for just a little. I took it out when it was still a little warm, then tossed with the dressing.

Mike's not so hot on the vinegaryness, so I'm wondering if next time I'll try pickle juice instead. It's still vinegar, but it's not....it's...it's pickle juice. It's different.

ANYWAY.

We took our plates and beers outside while Mike grilled some corm. Mike requested a dark beer, so I picked up Left Hand milk stout. It was from Colorado, so I figured he'd like it on principle. It was actually really good! I'm not a beer person, but this one was really smooth and wasn't icky. I know, not very informative, but "not icky" is what it is. =P

We came in and played WoW for a bit until it got dark enough for firework time!! I'd made some black cherry Jell-O earlier and for the life of me, I can't find blue Jell-O anywhere ever at all never. So I thought I'd just get blueberries instead. NOPE. Ugh. Fine. Grabbed a can of blueberry pie filling. Made some whipped cream real quick, then cut up the Jell-O. Jell-o went on the bottom, then whippy, then blueberry.


Winner winner chicken freakin' dinner. Mikey liked it, but Foop liked it more. (He got a few moments with the cups before he got caught.) We took those outside and commenced with the American celebration by lighting Chinese fireworks. No really, thank you, firework makers. I wish you got paid more for the happiness those incendiaries give us.


This was such a great day! I love my life here in America. It may not be where I want it to be sometimes, but it's days like these that remind me I'm in a country where I'm free to change my mind, go for what I want, and incur as much debt as I can along the way =P

Happy 4th, everyone!

No comments: