Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mission: Feed the Step-Dad

So my mom and grandma had plans to meet up with my aunt here in Albuquerque yesterday, and days before my cell phone is blown up with text message after text message from my step-dad, who couldn't come up. "Need cookies. Need cookies. Need cookies." It was determined that he wanted oatmeal raisin cookies, and nothing else would do. So I went to the store, bought the raisins, and promptly set to.....forgetting to actually make them until last night. After I left the lovely ladies at the hotel, I got to baking. Now, I'm not a fan of the ole' raisin, but I figured I'd just treat them as I would walnuts or pecans and just add them in with no alterations.

I took a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cookies and took out the PB, upped the brown sugar and the oats and called it good. Sticking the dough (for any cookie, really) in the freezer while you wait for the oven to preheat helps the cookies to keep their shape and not get all thin and wussy. The poor Ecstatic got flat ass cookies from me a few weeks ago cause I just went straight into the oven (also, I blame the food coloring because I can).



Anyhoo, I tend to barely undercook my cookies, as the residual heat will cook them the rest of the way after they're out o' the oven. They passed the M test (it's kinda a default title for him, professional cookie tester), so into the bag they went. I got a call from the step-dad earlier this evening, Cookie Monster voice for approval. So here's the recipe I used, the house smells DELICIOUS while they're bakin'.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - makes 3 dozen small cookies


1 cup all-purpose flour (I'm in high altitude, so if you're not just use a little less)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup raisins



Mix butter, egg, vanilla, and brown sugar together. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Add the dry mixture to the wet in small batches (makes it easier to stir everything together). Then in go the oats and raisins, mix well and stick in freezer. Preheat oven to 350, then make ping-pong sized cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven (mine go in for 11 mins) and shablammo. 

No comments: